I inferred the dedicated circuit from the mechanical code, which requires furnaces to be on their own circuit.

AHJ? Permits? Please .... this existing building has not, as best I can tell, ever complied with any provision of any code whatsoever. Even I, who know little of the other trades, can see plumbing, gas, mechanical, and structural violations at a guick glance. I'm told there weren't always inspectors out here, and I believe them! The scary part is that this is a 'nice' place in the 'better' part of town. (Feel free to imagine what I'm finding in my place on the 'other' side of the tracks laugh )

Thx for the handbook art; maybe I can consider the sleeping area to also be the eating area - at least in the 'studio' unit.

Imagine if this little place had electric appliances? Why, the panel would have to be every bit as large as the one for a house. I'm thinking back to my former home in Reno, where I got along quite happily on a 30-amp service with three 15-amp circuits- and a separate 240 drop for the water heater.

Maybe we can agree that the NEC needs to allow for such modest accomodations ... but how to do it? Make a proposal for each affected sentence - or do we need a whole new article for "antique accomodations?"

Last edited by renosteinke; 01/13/11 06:02 PM.