My first experience with the new-wave black-paint look was Century 25 Theatres in Union City California.

Too late to participate in the wire job...

I was thrown at salvaging the life safety contract: Fire Alarm!

I must say that the reason such was sellected was first cost and continuing costs.

Out there, some engineer exists who calculated that the building would shave 5% on its energy bill by not having a hot 'plenum' over the lobby. The thinking being that the tiles trap heat at elevated temperatures which frustrate HVAC distribution to the 25 sub-theatres... or some such.

I can't quite figure out how that is so... but I just build the place -- not design it.

The painters absolutely LOVED that job. The owner keep changing the paint scheme at the last second. Some walls have more coats than can believe.

Since that time the method has spread all over: Albertsons adopted it, so, too, Safeway. The grid crews are weeping.

Of course, Costco uses it.

I see two colors in wide use: very, very black & very, very white.

It does tend to drive the install towards EMT. The most common style seems to be EMT to 4-squares fitted with 'industrial covers' featuring twist-lock receptacles rated to 20A @277V. Then SOJ whips drop off to high-bays or SHO T5 fixtures on hooks or jack chain.

There are many efficiencies to be had: the contractor can split the task into fixture crews ( apprentices ) and EMT runners...

I don't see it going away for big box retailers.

-------

As for ceiling tiles in retro-work: the demo is ALWAYS ultra nasty. I'm talking rodents and their leavings. Recommend full bio-protection for anyone forced into such duty. Definitely NOT for the asthmatic!

Tesla