One of the GC that i work with just finished an 8 hour class. He told me basically if you are working on a house that is built before 1978 you need to add 30% to cover the cost of masking,removal and disposal of the lead that is in the paint.

He and i agreed that if he does that he is not being competitive and will be loosing bids to other none compliant contractors.
furthermore, if he doesn't do what he needs to do then the feds will fine him for about $37k per day of violation.

i am pro safety, however, the cost has to recovered from the client or the government. If the customer sees a bid that is 30% less of course they are taking that route. He also mentioned that beginning October EPA will have heavy advertising on Lead certified contractors trying to educate the consumers to use Lead Certified Contractors for their project.

it seems to me that if i run my business and follow the rules and regulations exactly to the dot, i will be loosing money and i won't be in business long. Unless the feds put the effort and heavily fine unlicensed and uncertified contractors and do educate the public to use properly licensed contractors.

What are you thoughts on this and how many of you are certified.

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live