"Equipotential grid:" seldom has anything so agitated code issues as much as when this idea was introduced to swimming pools a few cycles back. In 2005 the NEC called for a copper mesh; by 2008 the language had backed off somewhat, to where ordinary steel reinforcing mesh qualified.

The real confusion abounded when the pool deck was something besides concrete; for example, when pavers were set in a bed of sand.

When I did such a pool last year, I went 'beyond' the strict NEC requirements, and actually did use a roll of the copper mesh for the areas adjacent to the pool equipment, and between the pool equipment and the pool itself. My reasoning was that this area was where faults were more likely to develop, and I chose the copper for its' greater corrosion resistance.

That single roll of mesh (3' x 50'), and the associated split-bolt connectors, cost about $850. Net. My cost. It covered about 1/4 of the pool perimeter.

According to the latest IAEI update, this part of the code has been the subject of much discussion by the 2011 panel. It seems that ONE inspector, backed by ONE manufacturer, has instituted some manner of 'appeal' to get the copper mesh requirement included in the 2011 NEC.

This 'appeal' process is a new twist to me! Proposal, committee, vote ... then local adoption / ammendment .... I thought that's how the NEC was made - not by endless litigation funded by deep pockets.

What are your thoughts?