Hello all;

I have a Project with a long time Industrial Client, involving Power Monitoring.

A Little Background:

Client is a Nationwide Food and Beverage Distribution Company.

The Corporate Campus personnel have "experimented" with a Square D "PowerLogic" Monitoring System, with (2) Loads being Monitored for Demand Power (KWH) over a 7 day time frame.

The Two Monitored Loads were "Rytek" Electric Lift Doors.
These are high speed lift doors, using (1) 1.0 HP 480V 3 Phase 3450 RPM Motor for opening & closing the door, (2) 1/4 HP 480V 3 Phase Motors - for side blowers, and include 1200 Watts of Door Heat Trace.

The MODBUS "side" (the actual Meters) connects to the Facility's LAN via a Square D Ethernet Gateway.

Through the monitoring of the Two Rytek Lift Doors, they were able to visually observe the reduced KW Demand when they tweeked certain settings.

First off, they set the Blowers from "Continuously On", to "On Demand" (run only when the Door is Open & Closed).
I never seen any Rytek Doors set this way, so it was odd news for me! Only seen them set to run "On Demand".

Next they set the Door Heaters to Cycle On 15 Minutes, Off 15 minutes.

This made an impression with the Corporate Staff, and soon all Divisions were E-mailed a PowerPoint file containing a hand full of information, and instructions to "get one of these, now!"
The concept of "One Of These" being focused mainly on the Gateway, not the Metering or anything else!

The Contact Person we deal with just E-mailed the file, and said "Need Bid To Put This In".
I performed a Site Survey and tried to narrow down WTF they really wanted and actually needed!

Site & Monitoring info:

Warehouse (Building Footprint) is apx. 380,000 sq. ft.; consisting of 10,000 sq. ft. Office Spaces, 90,000 sq. ft. Cold Storage, 270,000 sq. ft. Dry Storage (at ambient Temp.), and remaining 10K sq. ft. of Ancillary, Maintenance & Charging Stations.

For simplicity, all the Monitoring Devices will be installed at the MSB (Main Gear), to Monitor (9) Panelboards, (4) Charging Racks, and (1) Refrigeration Package.

Monitoring will only involve KW + KWH draw, per Panelboard / Charger Rack (plus the Refrigeration Package)

MSB is 4000 Amp, 480Y/277V 3 Phase 4 Wire; SCA = 65K.
Panelboard Feeders are:
(2) 100 Amp 480Y/277V 3 Phase 4 Wire,
(7) 200 Amp 480Y/277V 3 Phase 4 Wire,
(2) 250 Amp 480Y/277V 3 Phase 4 Wire.

Charger Racks (4) are 400 Amp, 480V 3 Phase 3 Wire, and the Refrigeration Package is 1,200 Amp, 480V 3 Phase 3 Wire.

The MSB is in a Dedicated Electrical Room, and as luck would have it, there is an IDF already installed in this Room, with a Fiber Back Bone to the MDF!!!

My Proposed Concept is to use Square D's PowerLogic "Enercept" Meters - One per Feeder.

"Enercept" Meters are stand-alone Power Meters, which are connected together in Serial (RS-485), and use MODBUS Communication Protocol.
These Meters do not require any display devices, making them desirable for my Proposed Design.

RS-485 COM Line will be run from the last device, to an Ethernet Gateway (Sq. D EGX-100, or maybe EGX-300).

The Gateway will connect to the LAN through the IDF at the Electrical Room.

My Questions... finally!!! smile

Has anyone dealt with the Square D PowerLogic Submetering Systems before, and if so, what headaches will I be facing (programming and addressing).

In addition, the cost of the Enercept Meters is from $700.00 to $1,200.00 - depending on size (Ampacity).
Is there another option for this Submetering Scheme, which is less $$$ than my concept, yet still is a simple platform like the Enercept devices?

Does Siemens offer something similar? The Gear is Siemens SB2 Style.

Any ideas, comments, experiences, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

FYI, I will place a linked post in the General Section, for as many views possible.

Please excuse the lengthy post.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

p.s.: Attached is image of MSB + Electrical Room, for reference.
SET

Attached Images
USFS_MTS02.jpg

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!