There is no good reason to drive rods for a pool, only misunderstanding the rules.

I am assuming this is above ground.
Is it vinyl liner?
Is it metal frame?
Quick question to figure out what you bought.
What does the label say on the pump? Does it say "for permanent pools" or "for storable pools".

That makes a big difference in how you install it.

Storable pumps come with 25' cords and are really designed for homeowner setup. Permanent pools can get a lot more complicated and are designed for professional installation.

No matter what, I am sure you know you need GFCI protected outlets out there and keep the pool >6' away from the closest one when you set it up. The hitch in using an existing circuit for the pump is permanent pool branch circuits need an insulated 12 gauge ground (not the bare wire in UF)
Bonding is another issue. All metal within 5' of the pool needs to be bonded to all the other metal, including the cases of all electrical equipment and any paved surfaces. You do this with 8 gauge solid copper wire. Now you also have to bond the water.
This gets relaxed quite a bit with storable pools since you should be using all double insulated equipment listed for the purpose that might not have bonding lugs.

John is right about getting a licensed electrician. Pools are a different breed of cat and the hazards are multiplied by people, water and electricity in the same place. If there is no light and the pump is the only equipment you may only be buying one circuit with a pool compliant twist lock receptacle and a bond wire. The pro won't cost you that much. You can save some money by digging in the conduit yourself. Just be sure to leave it open until it gets inspected. I haven't seen many electricians who fight to dig in the summertime. wink
No matter what, buy the pool permit and get it inspected. That will keep you out of trouble with code enforcement (the nosy neighbor police) and give you some confidence that it was done right.
In most places that have "owner builder" permits, the inspectors will help you if you do insist on doing this yourself but we can't advise that here.