Bill....I'm in Vermont, we have licensing...apprenticeships leading to journeyman, then a "Master Electricians License". Exactly when and where a license is required is a little fuzzy,and is somewhat abused... there is a legislative page on line for it...We have type "S" licenses for other trades that do specific electrical work only, as boiler wiring etc......in addition to this ,recently the state has come up with a variety of attachment licenses for particular work. For instance, I carry a "Fire Alarms TQP " on top of my masters. This in itself constitutes it's own continuing ed to maintain. TQP stands for , you guessed it.....Technically Qualified person! The state has also instituted annual inspections of certain electrical items....such as fire alarms. Units in the field get a sticker, like your car would...pass or fail. I couldn't believe all the dead zones , batteries, etc when they started the annuals.... To get a state sticker, one must have the TQP that applies to the particular need, be it fire alarms, emergency generators...etc.