Jim, the reasons behind actions of the panels are as many as the stars in the skies. There are a few things, though, that need to be kept in mind:

First, it's always easier to prevent a decision from being made, than it is to get that decision reversed; with AFCI's the opponents are trying to undo a 'done deal.' My first involvement in 'the process' was exactly such an effort. While ultimately successful, you would not believe the stir it caused;

Second, as that Ford engineer said, everyone has opinions; you need DATA to make yours stand out. If there's a problem, you need to be able to demonstrate first that the problem exists, then that your proposal will address that problem.

Third, I like the multitude of jurisdictions, with their various editions and local ammendments. This is our final means of stopping bad code. The situation is already topsy-turvy, in that many times the AHJ feels he has to 'justify' why he's not following a 'model' code. This has it exactly backwards; it's for the 'model' code to sell itself to the AHJ. That is, the NFPA has to satisfy me - not the other way around.