North of 49 we are getting more and more GFCI protection requirements but thankfully no where near as many as you NEC guys do. Pretty much outdoor receptacles for dwelling units within 2.5 meters of grade, Outlets within 1.5 meters of any sink and within 3 meters of a pool. Hot tubs and some pool equipment. heat tracing but only GF protection is required, never mind that most use GFCI protection. I'll fail a job that wires a sump pump through a GFCI but not a gfi. For any that don't know a gfci trips at 6 ma of leakage and a gfi allows up to 30 ma. Neither of these are the same as ground fault protection for large services.
Are the citizens of the US really that much at risk? I have been to lots of places where there are hardly any trained electricians and no codes but I haven't seen bodies dead in the street yet?
I think we are going insane trying to protect from every possible hazard. Life is fatal and no risk, isn't living. Heck you can die from sitting too much. Really how does a 2 million dollar scanner actually make flying safe? Maybe teaching our border guards how to behaviour profile and recognize that currently Swedes are not high on the list of terror countries might make security focused. Sorry I am off on a tangent.