Coming rather late to this discussion but a couple of things come to mind. There are places where it would be more appropriate to install GFCI breakers over outlets. The outlets are by far the most convenient as the reset is available right where the problem is detected. That said an outlet that is out in the weather or subject to high humidity levels has a greater risk of corrosion causing a problem. While the changes that came about as a result of GFCI failures in the beginning of the new millennia are addressing this issue there is still something to be said for providing the protection in the panel. I assume the panel is located so it stays dry and free of condensation. I would not want to see the loss of GFCI outlets as they are still a great solution and can allow a single receptacle to be gfci protected where the circuit would otherwise not require it.
AFCI Breakers do have gfi protection and some offer GFCI protection too but I do not wish for AFCI devices and think the breaker is the only way to actually provide protection to the circuit. That however is another discussion.

I am looking forward to the Jan/ Feb issue of the IAEI magazine since it has sparked so much discussion.