This is a tough point to get across ... but I am not trying to infer anything improper on the part of the inspector, or system with that comment.

It's simply that no 'quality control' mechanism, even in a factory, can examine every detail without shutting everything down. Since the very purpose of production is to accomplish something, a 'shut down' is out of the question.

There is no substitute for the guy doing the work being competent and caring. Absent his co-operation, inspections are an exercise in futility.

All any inspector can do is 'hit the high spots.' That is, check a few details in a few points, and hope the theory behind such statistical methods has not been deliberately circumvented.

I don't count on the inspector to check me, to correct me, or to keep me honest. That's my job. For me, inspection is not a game where we see how much I can sneak past the guy.

That's why anyone beginning a defence with 'it passed inspection' is, in my book, showing faulty logic. To me, that alone infers nothing as to the quality of the installation.