Hi all,
just a quicky..(think this is the right area)

I have recently had a problem with my car fuel pump not working,on investigation i found that the fuel pump was submersed in petrol inside the fuel tank,
together with push on crimped connectors for the supply to the pump and another pair for the fuel float switch (for fuel gauge)sender.
The fault on the circuit was the connections to the pump situated inside where burnt out and short circuiting.

Now i know the pump is submersed in the fuel to keep it cool because its always working.

I know that you need an ignition source , oxygen and fuel form to create fire or spark

My question is ; how come there is burn marks at the loose connection and a build up of carbon? is it because its heated up and not arked do you think?

Also is it safe to have these push on crimped connectors in such a location because of the lack of air (i.e. is in a vacuum)and not able to make a spark?

lastly, even if the above is true could the 12volts potential difference not track and short circuit through the fuel instead of going through the pump?

This whole set up scares the s**t out of me to be honest,just does not seem right!!!

james