I can't tell you how to run your business; if you want to play the odds, be my guest.

I also understand the uncertainties involved with lighting, and it's perfectly acceptable to exclude the fixtures from the quote - though I would plan on putting in simple 'keyless' fixtures just to light the place during construction, and to prove your circuits. Ditto for lighting controls; be clear whether you are basing your price on simple snap switches, dimmers, whatever.

The point I'm trying to make is that square foot estimates, based upon some sort of simple multiplier, are fiscal insanity. GC's love to toss around bogus numbers ... and while the approach may make sense when you're building a 1000 unit tract of five different models, it doesn't apply to a custom home.

Another approach -price per opening- is only slightly better. The weakness there is that you quote based upon 200 openings, the guy scales back to 100 openings ... and expects the price to be cut in half. Not sane when your set-up costs are a constant.

That leaves us with a price specific to the job. To do so conscientiously, you're going to invest a minimum of three days time - and that costs you money. I'd want some sort of guarantee of getting my money back ... a deposit to be applied to either the job, or for the design time, is one way to do it. Remember: while the other contractors can't use your drawings to submit to the city, having them available will sure make their quotes cheaper for them to prepare .... do you really want to subsidize the competition?

Can't design until it's framed? Yea, right ... try getting the plans through City Hall without an electrical print and load calculations. Their expectations are unreasonable; if you do the plans, you deserve to be paid for it.

You can be certain the architect didn't draw his part on faith!

I can't say this strongly enough: CYA! Never assume a quote will be accepted in good faith; it's almost always the opening round in negotiations. Odds are, they ask you for the "Cadillac," don't like the price, then go across the street and get a Chevy.