need some advice from you seasoned vets who have been through it all.

I am a second year apprentice. It took me over 14 months to find my first job after finishing school. I worked full time while in school evenings and bought a house with my wife.

When I found my first job I kept my old job on the weekends to compensate for loss of salary and to have a backup plan when work gets slow.

First year was great, learned a lot, but the last year we have been off almost 4 months out of the last 9 months.

I could look for work elsewhere but from what I see its dead everywhere. I was hoping to be loyal with this company not only because its a good place to work, the work is interesting and I have learned a lot more than most of my buddies from school. Basically I am scared of getting contractors who will use me as a housekeeper/tool passer/gopher which is the case for a friend and is fed up of the trade and left.

I was also offered a year work at my last job as a maintenance electrician and the only perks are job stability, salary will be 14$ an hour less and work will consist of changing lights and adding the occasional plug and switch.

Some people have told me in the long run the stress and instability of working in construction (resi and industrial) isnt worth it and the salary is marginally more after taxes taking layoffs into consideration.

I am confused as to where my career should go and with a mortgage and baby on the way, being off 4 months a year will not only be stressful financially it delays my hours towards my apprenticeship and will take me 5-6 years to complete my 8000 hours.

I know this is a personal decision, but I would like to base it on other peoples experiences and words of wisdom who have lived through similar circumstances.

Apologize for the long post, but thanks!