This seems like it should be a no brainer, but I have to ask for clarification.
Would using a single-pole GFCI circuit breaker to protect a circuit with 120V, two-wire non-grounding receptacles be a violation?... Or possibly three-wire receptacles with no equipment-grounding conductor?
It seems like it should be okay, knowing that GFCI don’t require a grounding conductor to operate, but I find it odd that 406.3[D],3 specifies using GFCI receptacles as replacements for two-wire receptacles and also allows three-wire receptacles with no equipment ground downstream, but I can’t seem to find any written indication elsewhere in the NEC that a GFCI cb could be used for this purpose.
I have looked through the listed instructions included with the Siemens, C/H, T&B, SQD QO and Homeline GFCI cb’s that I stock and noticed that they all show only connection diagrams utilizing a three wire branch circuit, so I’m not sure how 110.3[B] would play into this.
I also noticed that none of them come with the "no equipment ground" decals included with GFCI receptacles either.
I have done a quick scan through the 2009 UL White Book under "Molded Case Circuit Breakers/GFCI", but so far have not found anything that specifies using them for this purpose.
I suppose if nothing else, it could be said that these are two different types of installations and that unless the NEC explicitly states not to do so, then it would be allowed?