I think Phil raises a good point. Let me give an example.

Back in the 60's, Ford ran ads showing how they dipped entire car bodies in a vat in order to paint them, and extolled how this process ensured a fine paint job. The public, suitably awed, ran to the Ford dealers when they wanted a new car.

The catch? Ford wasn't doing anything that the other companies weren't doing at the time. The general public didn't know that, though, and were impressed. They associated a common process with one brand name. It was a marketing coup.

The customer is always going to notice a difference in price. You have to make sure he understands the difference between the various products. I mean, you can pay $5 or $150 for a pair of sneakers - and some customer will feel the $150 pair is worth it.

Last summer I lost a job to a lower priced contractor. Well, the customer had a choice: my complete desigh, or the other guys' inadequate (but legal, if you fudged the paperwork) plan. A choice of either be happy with my work, or to be always fussing over the other guys' results. There are no hard feelings; the customer was well aware of the chance he took.