All images and information submitted by ECN Member Alan Belson:

Here’s some pics of an experimental 20kW+ nominal [75,000 btu/h] used-vegetable oil pressure-jet burner I built. The pics are self explanatory, I hope. It burns #2 diesel oil, vegetable-oil or mixes of the two.
See the schematic diagrams:

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

The burner is shown operating, covers off, on neat vegetable oil preheated to c. 200ºC, with 10 bar indicated gauge:

And at an estimated 13 bar[200psi] [gauge removed to avoid bending the needle ] Note the typical very long vegetable-oil flames. The estimated power, from fuel consumption figures, is 26 & 30 kW. I should add that I get an inexhaustible supply of old burners, some nearly new, from a friend who is retro-fitting wood-pellet burners locally:

Through a nozzle, a gear pump delivers a measured quantity of high-pressure oil, as a cone of micro-droplets, into a blast tube past electric ignition arcs. An air blower delivers all the combustion air to the blast tube. The process is sequenced by a Danfoss LOA 24 type Burner Controller. For #2 oil, the air and fuel are usually delivered at ambient temperature - other fuels may need to be pre-heated and supplied with heated air. Note: As oil pressure increases, droplet size reduces. As oil viscosity increases, both droplet size and, counter-intuitively, the flow rate both increase. As temperature of oil increases the viscosity reduces, as does the flow . These changes are not linear, for instance doubling the pump pressure does not double the flow rate.

This burner has 2 tandem electric air-heaters mounted inside an insulated copper-sheet muffle, inserted between the blower and the blast tube and carried in a welded steel support frame. Thermal-break gaskets are fitted at both ends. This allows the fuel and air to be heated to preset temperatures for trials. Oil is heated as the oil line is in the hot air stream.

Last edited by Trumpy; 11/09/09 09:16 PM. Reason: Having a little change around