There are a few architects out there that are very gifted or they have a good computer drafting program and make beautiful diagrams that fall short on electrical specifications. It is not uncommon to see things missing or left so vague that the plans can not be approved. The reason for plan review is to lessen the possibility of installing a system that will not meet code. An virtual inspection if you want to call it that. Type of usage, wiring method, raceway fill, type of raceway, type of wire, clearances from other items in the room, arc flash calculations, available fault current, loads on circuits and feeders, riser diagram, specifications on equipment requirements, details on system grounding, available voltage from utility, panel ledgers, location of exits and emergency lighting equipment, circuiting, overcurrent protection and I'm sure I left out some. I find it rather lax for an architect or engineer or design professional to submit a plan that has a disclaimer that says "Subject to local Codes" or uses a rubber stamp that has generic wording that is only basic information that is might say "To be installed to the current version of the NEC". Find out from the Building Department which version of the NEC is in place and design to that. I have a punch list that is useful when I perform a plan review that help me remember things to check.

The State of Michigan has a firm policy that requires that plans are sealed by a licensed Architect or Engineer. While this certainly helps we still see a lot of plans that get sent back.

George Little