Aussie,
Thanks a million, mate!
You've answered my questions exactly.

I can agree with you about the UHF tuner thing, TV sets here never came out with UHF bands on them until the late 80's- early 90's, up until then, VCR's had an output in the VHF band (usually channel 1 or 2, there was even a switch on the back of them to change the output.)

See this is what annoys me a tad, it seems to me that there is no real backwards compatiblity, if I hadn't have had that SCART connector, the TV would have been useless, for what I wanted to use it for.

It makes me wonder if this isn't an industry push to make a whole heap of TV sets obselete, in one foul swoop.
It will be an interesting time leading up to the shut-down dates for analouge TV, some people are not going to like having to for all practical purposes, junk a perfectly good TV, just because it can't be interfaced with this new technology.

I mean, if you never wanted HDTV, (most pensioners don't either, to just watch the news) why should it be forced upon people?
(Sure, that statement may sound a bit naive, but, if it ain't broke, why fix it?)

I realise that governments have found a cash-cow in selling off parts of the RF spectrum to the highest bidder.
We are about to see how that pans out as well. mad