"Going Solo" has been a real eye-opener for me.

The first constant has been the folks who succeeded simply because failure was not an option. For example, many immigrants attribute their success to the discrimination that precluded their getting 'good' or 'real' jobs; as a result, they turned money-losing mini-marts into cash cows, often succeeding where the corporate giants failed.

Another constant has been the failure of the 'experts.' The record for going bust is probably held by a local business professor who tried starting a small business. I woder how many MBA's work for GM?

Among the self-employed, I am amazed at the positive feedback and encouragement I have received. The nay-sayers have all been, without exception, the failures and the hourly workers. Even my competitors have been cheering for me - rather than resenting a new player.

Indeed, the biggest changes since I 'went solo' have been internal, personality changes. I'm not the same person I was a year ago, and I'm sure I'll be quite different next year!

To illustrate the point: Had I met someone a year ago with a good job, good pay, good benefits, and job security, I would have felt perhaps a little mad; I mean, why him and not I? I was certainly as deserving as he.

Today I can spot such a person a block away. To my eye, they appear somehow limited, stunted - as if they have not grown to their fullest potential. Think "bonsai tree" for personality, rather than soaring Redwood.

Last edited by renosteinke; 05/31/09 04:59 PM.