Originally Posted by Texas_Ranger

Regarding the age old UK problem - what if one split up a 32 amp ring into two 16 amp radials by adding an MCB and disconnecting one part of the ring? Same amount of power available for the cost of two MCBs and French sockets can be used without any trouble.

That would be a pretty good solution there Ragnar. smile
I'm surprised the ring circuit is even being installed in new construction in the UK, these days.

The only reason it was used was because it was cheap and allowed a smaller consumer unit for a given installation, especially those with two storey houses.
But let's look at it this way, using say a 2.5mm2 cable with a 30A fuse on it, is poor design really, even though each plug has a 13A fuse in it, you are still overloading the cable to an extent.

To my reckoning, 2.5mm2 is good for about 27A, now, it will take a 30A fuse some time to blow under overload, when you have, say 3 heaters that draw 9A each (not enough to blow a 13A fuse), especially when you consider it takes 45A or more to blow that 30A fuse.
The effects of this current on the insulation of the cable feeding the circuit is often under-stated.

Is my reckoning all mucked up?

I personally think the radial circuit is the way to go, no fuses in plugs, no damage to cables in winter.

Your comments would be good.