Crlnva,

I believe it is probably just ignorance of this section of the NEC by your local authorities. As Don has already stated, the requirement to add a second rod if the first one does not measure 25 ohms or less to ground is not new. My oldest code book is a 1975 version, and its in there bigger than ever in section 250-84 (now 250.56).

The requirement for a supplemental electrode to the waterpipe has been there as long as I can remember also, and is still a requirement today. You must always install a supplemental grounding electrode in addition to the metal underground waterpipe as required in 250.53d2. It doesn't neccesarily have to be a rod, but it does have to be one of the other types listed, (ie. metal frame of the building or structure, concrete-encased, ground ring, rod or pipe, or plate).

This requirement was there in 1975 as well. It is at the end of the paragraph in section 250-81. In the 1999 code it is in section 250-50a2. I don't have my copy of the 1996 NEC here at home, but you can rest assured, its in there too.

Unless at the time VA enacted whatever version of NEC they are currently using into law, they elected to exclude these specific sections of the code, your local authorities are either ignorant of these requirements, or they have overlooked them.

[This message has been edited by Matt M (edited 12-16-2002).]