Joe:

So to make sure I understand your post correctly: Porcelain lampholder/fixtures like the one pictured, or even those fancy fixtures with the tulip-shaped glass shades (the ones that flare downwards) and similar open-ended shaded light-sets on ceiling fans are all not permitted under Code?

Wow!

Guess when I redo the wiring in the kitchen-ette here at home, I'll be replacing the bare bulb fixture over the sink with either an enclosed globe or jelly jar.

My grandmother once had a bulb fall out of a ceiling socket. The cement in the screw base deteriorated, the little wires going into the glass snapped and the glass fell on the tiled floor...and it remained in one piece!!! She saved it to show me when I stopped to remove the metal screw-shell out of the fixture with a small needlenose plier. I still couldn't believe it didn't shatter.

And yes, I did pull the breaker before sticking my pliers into that thing!! [Linked Image]

I've seen some of those down-lights with uncovered bulbs set in a tin reflector in a lot of chain restaurants. You know...like Outback Steakhouse and places like that...

Question #2: Until Trainwire redoes his wiring, would it be prudent to get small screw-in compact fluorecent bulbs and put them in place of the incandecents? Granted you still have the problem of something falling, crashing against the bulb and shattering it. But the heat problem is sort of solved for the time being, right?