We were all told that the whole idea was just to promote free trade and movement, but it does seem as though at least some of the "powers that be" have ideas of a European Superstate.

I have no objections to having metric measurements included on packets and boxes. After all, if we're going to sell to other countries, then it makes sense to include measurements that the majority of people in those countries will understand and be comfortable with (regulations aside). But as you've hinted at, why should a shopkeeper in England be told that he isn't allowed to use English measurements when selling to another Englishman?

I don't doubt that there are some old traditional units of measurement in practically all countries (any interesting ones in Sweden?), and I would defend the right of the people of those countries to continue using those units.

We have our own share of bizarre rules and regulations, but I think these are becoming fewer and fewer. (A neighbour bought a car in the US with both mph and km/h on the speedometer. She had to remove the mph part to get the car registered!!!)
Now that's crazy! Our speed limits are still in MPH (at least for the moment!), and cars are required to have speedometers which indicate MPH, but there's nothing to say that km/h can't be shown as well. In fact, most new cars made in the last 20 years or more have dual-scales on them, and even some much older vehicles.

The acceptance of standards has certainly helped in some respects: I could never understand the bizarre old French rule about all cars (even visitors) having to have yellow headlights.