The way it’s wired are two rows of lights hanging in the web joists in a warehouse? Two 20amp single pole breakers supplying 277 two each row. 8 lights in two rows. One hot lead to each row and the neutral leads to each row are tied to one neutral back to the panel. I don't have the specs of the fixtures in front of me to post, but I think my replacement transformers are coming in tomorrow and I may be on the job by thurs or fri. I will be the guy on the lift and lowering to another guy who will be ripping them apart and changing ballasts and stuff. When I took the fixture that smoked originally out of the circuit and got all the other lights to work I measured approximately the correct amp draw per string; 1.7 amps per fixture, and then I started to work on a hanging heater for a hour or so then another one smoked. I'm thinking that the guy who operates the warehouse kept resetting the breaker and watched the lights hum and go out; all the while it was pulling 50 amps through the primaries on these lights??

The wire gauge appers to be sized correctly. The neutral must be sized to the total amp of both circuts,right? The thing is I am asuming everthing worked before as it was designed so I haven't, as yet, double chected wire size and run and all that.

Would a loose wire nut cause adverse condition for premature failure of a fixture? On electrical motors their is a +or-/min and max voltage rating. I didn’t see one on the fixture, I'm wondering if this first fixture blew from high volts.

[This message has been edited by JohnnyB (edited 12-10-2002).]