I suppose that here I might have some experience to offer ....

I've used a number of such bathrooms; my current one isn't much larger. But. yes, I've use hathrooms where the 'shampoo shelf' was the top of the toilet tank, and overspray would rinse out the sink.

Ironically, the same euro practices will place the water heater IN the shower, while forbidding switches and receptacles within the bathroom at all.

Even so, there were plenty of places that didn't get wet. After all, you needed to have the TP somewhere! In such situations you (first of all) look for places that are somehow in the 'shadow' of the spray; then you (literally) raise your expectations. That is, for example, you place that receptacle maybe 5 ft up, partly sheltered by the edge of the medicine cabinet. Or, place it under the towel rack, letting towels protect it.

Though, to be fair, by the time spaces start getting that tight, things start getting split off. For example, the sink is placed outside the bathroom .... meaning, by the NEC, it's not a bathroom anymore! Or, the toilet gets its' own little closet.

You're more likely to encounter a larger bathroom, but one that does not have a defined shower area. That is, there is no door / curtain, and the entire floor is made to serve as the shower pan. Even in such an 'open' arrangement, very little spray lands 5 ft from the shower head .... at, say, the 3 ft level, almost nothing hits walls 4 ft. away.

Corrosion is likely to be your biggest issue. Bubble covers? I think not - appliances are not likely to be sealed; better to encourage them to be put away.