I hope this isn't just simply going to see regular incandescent bulbs being replaced by Tungsten Halogen incandescent versions!
Not exactly a vast energy saving as they tend to be used in recessed lighting and they're potentially fire hazards if installed incorrectly!

The majority of CFL bulbs on sale here are made within the EU, because of import duties it's not cost-effective to make them in China.

Most of them seem to be made in Poland or Hungary from what I've seen.
Particularly Philips & Osram, who seem to dominate the market.

I doubt the majority of incandescent bulbs are made in the USA or EU anyway, I'm sure quite a % come from China etc too. They're a low tech, cheap bulk manufacturing job. It's ideal for China. The shipping costs would be similar to CFLs but the replacement would be more frequent, so the CO2 transport impact would be much bigger.

They're shipped by sea & over land, not air as they're cheap and non-urgent, so it's really a question of volume of the box rather than weight too. A container load of CFLs isn't a heck of a lot less difficult to ship than a container of incandescent but they'll last years longer. So, I don't think there's much of a difference. The boxes are similarly sized and they're not a heck of a lot heavier.

Last edited by djk; 01/01/09 11:26 AM.