No, you're not. I'd also check your assumptions.

A local, established, reputable firm grew to the point that the owner brought in a management team, and went off on a long vacation. The management team quickly filled the trucks with "technicians," and instituted a commission payment system - with seminars for the guys in how to 'up sell' a customer.

In no time at all, these guys were running up the customers' bills ... and, as in your example, often not addressing the original problems at all. Things reached a peak when I - completely unaware of the internal drama that was unfolding - called the owner after following behind one of the 'techs.' As in your example, the guy sold some madly marked-up breakers, and failed to find the readily accessible short. Oops.

My story has a happy ending ... the owner returned, sacked the 'new crew,' and recovered his good name.

Yet, your story is not unique. There ARE shady outfits out there whose entire business model is to do just what that "electrician" did. These are the guys who give 'flat rate' a bad name.

The guy should have done some troubleshooting, and found the problem ... and not just focused on the age of the equipment.