Originally Posted by SteveFehr
210.6(A)(2) is unenforcible, though, as there is no restriction on cord & plug after it's installed. You can install it with the intent of using a 1500VA UPS or a 2500Watt tea pot, but as you won't be putting it in, you can't know whether he'll come back with a 700VA UPS or just plug a 60W luminaire straight into the wall, violating both 210.6(A)(1) and 210.6(A)(2). Regardless, the installation is perfectly safe.

I mean, it's impractical to retrofit new circuits after the drywall is up, so how many new homes are built with 240V welding/tool outlets in the garage/shop "just in case" before the homes are even sold? (OK, probably a small %, but I'm sure there are still quite a few. I did this in my house at least.)

I don't know how much attempt there is to enforce 210.6(A)(2). Maybe I or someone could submit a deletion for the 2014 cycle, explaining just this, and see what happens. I'd also add the "energy saving" aspect of it, too (it is real for some things like computers and fluorescent lights).

But I agree is it effectively unenforceable because it's so easy to just say it is there for some compliant purpose. I could put 6-15/20Rs all over the house and say they are for my 2400VA UPS protected computers that get moved around sometimes.

BTW, the North American 240V circuit would have the same balanced power effectiveness as described in NEC 647 for 120V. If all the audio equipment worked directly on 240V, NEC 647 might not be needed.

Originally Posted by SteveFehr
240V coffee pot outlets in the kitchen should be mandatory laugh

I agree with this, too. And there are other heavy duty appliances. I like wok cooking, which traditionally needs gas, which I don't like. Woks do very poorly on electric burner elements (worse on glass tops). But there is such a thing as an electric induction wok (Google finds them easily enough) that happens to work with traditional wok pans. The problem is you need somewhere between 2400 and 3000 watts to make them effective (though some wimpy ones for 120V are available).

I've been considering possible kitchen layouts: http://phil.ipal.org/ecn/2008-11-25/ks-group.html