Go buy a small (350VA or so) UPS. They run $30-50 and most name brand units (APC, Belkin, etc) include surge supression and filtering and will protect against surge, dip, overvoltage, undervoltage, the works, including short power failures, and catv protection. The first thing I did when I bought my HDTV was throw it on a UPS! Don't forget to plug your DVR into it, too, so that a storm won't mean your favorite shows aren't recorded smile

The best approach to lightning protection is a tiered approach, with TVSS (or SPDs if you're using a new copy of NEC) at each point in the distribution. The most critical point is at the service entrance, as the power lines are WAY more likely to get struck by lightning than your house, and the path to ground offers the least resistance here, and thus the most effective surge clearing. For most people, a TVSS in the panel will suffice. It doesn't matter how they're packaged, as they all use the same MOVs. Considerable voltages can be induced on house wiring from a near miss, and high-voltages will still come through the house TVSS, so secondary surge supressors are recommended at computer/AV equipment, too.