Lest we get far off track, it needs to be pointed out:

Some jobs, and work environments, are more bureaucratic than others. For example, the local school district requires different "control" and "electrical" contractors. (That particular requirement has -at least once- resulted in my waiting around for one of my students to appear!)

In general, the larger the job, if the job is for a governmental agency, and the larger the employer ... the more bureaucratic things tend to be.

"Crossing crafts" is one of the cardinal rules on many sites. Likewise, "power" vs. "hand" tools is a common way of defining what is whose responsibility to provide. Equipment training is another matter; here, you need specific training, from your current employer, for each and every different forklift you may be asked to operate (having operated an identical one on another job doesn't count, nor does having operated a different model fork for the same employer).

I'm not trying to justify some of this silliness; it's enough to admit it exists.

All these other posters are trying to do is prevent the "new guy" from upsetting too many folks on his first day.