If you had that $100 tire insatlled at 8 pm on a friday night, cause you lacked the skills to do it yourself, and the price was explained to you what would your gripe be. If the "customer's" work called him in at 8pm on friday to shuffle some papers around, im pretty sure he'd want to get paid a different pay than the normal 9-5 gig. People totally undervalue the trade people whom they allow to work on their most expensive possesion, yet if you caused a fire or the plumber causes a leak, they sure as hell won't be willing to bargain with the insurance company, if they were smart enough to have the properly licensed and insured pro do the job. I have a small personal story which relates to the original post. while on call one week I got a call from a rite aid pharmacy, who our company typically does a bit of service work for. I explained to the manager the pricing policy, a minimum 4 hours of double time for the after hours call. But the manager insisted I come because his outside lightng hadn't worked the last 2 days. So I drive 45 minutes to the store which is lit up completely. The manager never looked outside that night apparently. So just for good measure I checked all breakers, contactors etc. I felt bad charging the store 4 hrs double...however Due to their lack of common sense I wasted the better part of my evening.