I can't fault the idea of temp services. Indeed, one of the main advantages a union can offer is the ability of a contractor to 'call the hall' for additional crew. (Let's not get into the union / non-union debate though!) Benefits are also through the union - easing that chore for the employer.

As for short term employment ... that seems to be a basic part of the trade. I think we all have been hired for specific projects; and I've certainly known guys who traveled the country, chasing jobs. Maybe that's why we're called 'journeymen.'

All I ever asked was that the employer be clear in his description. Please don't tell me fairy tales about "my great future as part of the team" when you are planning to lay everyone off as the job finishes.

Temp services, as a selling point, tell the employer how they reduce the work for the employer. That is, the employer need not wade through every application, do all the screening, or deal with the paperwork associated with employees. That's the claim; I can't speak for the reality.