From SimonUK:

Thought this might be suitable for the nostalgia pics. See if anyone can I.D. it.

Got some time to myself a week ago Sunday and went to Ayr market (the local flea market). I returned home with the little gem in the attached pics much to my wifes delight. The guy only wanted £1 for it (nearly $2).

As you can see there are three commutators low tension at one end with high tension next to it and mid tension at the other end. Applying 12vdc to the L.T. brushes gives 360vdc at the mid and well over 600vdc at H.T. My 1kv dvm decided it didn't want to work on the 1000v range and all my others are 600vdc max. As you can see from the tag its a TYPE H.164, there are the remnants of some sort of stamp in the centre of the tag, there's another round stamp on the back RLP 272. The field windings are shunt connected to the LT commutator but going by the length of the leads I reckon there might have been some sort of field regulator used in its original configuration. I'm guessing it was mechanically driven to provide power for the vacuum tubes in some sort of portable radio application.

[Linked Image]

Click for larger image of above

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]