Originally Posted by Texas_Ranger
Originally Posted by NORCAL
My opinion is the intent is for someone not to label a panel "Billy's bedroom" or "John's office" where the orig. occupants are long gone & then coming in trying to decide which is which.......

Definitely, but how do you distinguish between several bedrooms, or worse, in an apartment where a room could be either living room or bedroom or whatever?

I have that problem myself and never found a real good solution. In my own place I ended up labeling "Back room" "Front left", "front right". Is there a better way without supplying a floor plan and numbering the rooms?

In commercial locations we simply label every receptacle with the circuit number.

Our system: the incoming feed of any given panel is split up into groups with main fuses. Then each group contains 6 breakers.

The numbers are coded 4 digit numbers. The first digit is the purpose (like 1 = lighting, 2= receptacles, 3= dedicated computer receptacles, 4= hard wired devices), the second and thrid are the group and the fourth is the circuit number, so for example the first group fuses is F101 and the first lighting breaker is F1011.

I start by calling Bedroom #1 "Master Bedroom". Bedroom #2 and so on clockwise from the Master Bedroom (Bedroom #1). I put a description of this in the panel of how I decided to do so.