It's been a while since I last posted. Seems to me that most gummints have too few neurons connected and even fewer ideas as to where to go next in a power starved world. If you want to solve the problem, do it for yourself! A kilowatt saved is a kilowatt generated and there are lots of ways to achieve this. Mainly by re-insulating your home, using low-energy bulbs, eating salad etc..
Geothermal using heat pumps should be first choice for home heating. With a COP of 4, a geo system will be at least 50% cheaper to run compared to oil or gas, even at poco day rates. A 'canadian well' of modest proportions, say 100 yards of 8" pipe buried 8 feet down and used to provide the home ventilation air after filtering will effectively generate 3kw, free. Coupled to a double-flux fan unit with heat exchangers, it can also unload an air conditioner in summer to a similar output and save a further 3kw.
The way you drive an automobile can save a small fortune in fuel. Get your foot off the loud pedal as much as possible, [ in fact, why not paint a $ sign on it as a gentle reminder!], accelerate gently, drive slower, anticipate where you need to slow and cruise to stop with minimal braking. That will knock at least 20% off your gasoline/diesel bill- in my modest case a cool $500 a year. [Gasoline here is now about $8 a US gallon.]

Wood work but can't!