I am finally reching the end of my apprenticeship. I have less than 6 months before the first stages of my schooling is officially over. I say first stages because I see too many people that think they know it all and never need to learn anything else. I differ on that point, but I digress.

I have had the chance to have apprentices working with me. The biggest problem I see is their lack of motivation. I have discussed with many JW's and Foreman how to get them motivated. Unfortunately, the simple fact is, most of these guys are just here for a paycheck and see no farther ahead than what they are doing this evening.

For example, I have a 24 yo GREEN apprentice working with me now. He has a very limited attention span and contiually says "do what" after any directives are given. No matter how simple or mundane they are or how many times he has performed the same task. He has no will to succede. I find it very challenging to "make" him want to do this. He was canned from his prior job and came over to us cause he needed to work, and I guess we just needed some bodies on the job.

I know it's just not me, cause others we have worked around have mentioned they don't see him making it thru the apprenticeship. Now I am by no means the perfect apprentice, but I am at work everyday, on time, and I generally like the people I work with and the work we do.

I think the biggest part of this, is too many young people want to take the "short track" to a good job. Most of them have no idea what "put your time in" means. As a 1st year apprentice I hated cleaning up after grown men who couldn't throw stuff away, but I learned from it and I believe it made me better. I always clean up after myself now.

And as far as the comments about slapping them, that doesn't work either. I have worked around many a JW and the ones who are all macho and tough, don't last long. They are seen as problems. The company I work for has a very good crew of level headed guys. Sure there are things that irritate them at times, but the bigger man keeps his cool and finds a way to work things out.

I guess in short, the apprentice either wants to do this or they don't. There is no fool proof solution that will work for the masses. It all boils down to motivation.

"If common sense was common, everyone would have it"-not sure, someone here