Hi, I can see why you would say that I guess. Lets just say for argument sake that this motor has a little controller and it must be started by pushing the start button, not automatic starting. Overheating protection (thermally protected) is not the same as overload protection.

I know that current thru the windings of the motor create a temperature rise but I always thought that the bi-metalic strip that opens the motor winding was calibrated for a specific temperature. Not the the temperature created specifically by 1.15 or 1.25 times the FLC.

But I do see 28-302(1)(b)- It says that thermally protected motors don't need overload protection just as long as they respond to temperature and current. They must also be able to protect the circuit conductors, control circuit conductors as well as the motor windings.

So if you had a small controller for this motor with a contactor the thermal protection would open the motor windings only. It wouldn't open the control cicuit like a NC contact that is in an overload relay would do.