Just wondering if any of the lighting gurus here have an opinion on pulse-start metal halide lamps and ballasts.

I have a client with tennis courts being lit by a dozen 1000W Metal Halide fixtures. There are 6 lights for each of 2 courts, and they are activated by a key switch for each court.

The system I installed about 5 years ago was completely automated, and uses standard 1000W metal halide kits. A member would rotate a keyswitch, then remove their key. This would activate the lighting for one hour on the court they were using.

The client wishes to change the system so that the members key stays in the switch as long as they wish, then they remove their key when they leave (which deactivates the lighting).

They wish to have the lighting at full brightness quicker than the current warm up time (which is 5 or so minutes with the standard MH kits).

Do you think that pulse-start MH kits are going to handle this type of application well? Do you foresee any problems that I should make my customer aware of? This will be a considerable investment for this community, and, as always, I'd like to let my customer know exactly what they are getting into.

Thanks in advance for your advise!