I think were all discussing the same basic issue: a failure to communicate. Call it the "Cool Hand Luke" paradox.

The customer fails to communicate to the vendor what they desire.

The vendor (us) fails to communicate to the customer that we are in a position to fulfill their desires.

Often, we need to overcome a pre-existing bias. I had assumed that the place I finally -out of desperation - would be arrogant, "full up", and expensive. I assumed that I would by 'strip mined' by wholesale parts changes, additional charges, and pressured to authorize unnecessary work. I was 100% wrong.
They, to be fair, seemed to assume I was a professional, who really needed his truck, and was an adult who would happily pay a reasonable amount to get it fixed. (I'm glad their assumptions were better then mine!)

I recently did a gas station / mini mart job. The customer told me afterward that he had discovered me purely by accident, through the GC. The customer told me that everyone he had asked had recommended a certain competitor - a fine firm, that has pretty much sewn up the 'gas station' market in this town. Many folks assume this other EC is the only guy who can do 'haz loc' installations.

The fact that I was, at that time, building a CNG plant for a major fleet operation was generally unknown. People - including this customer - were not aware that I was qualified, and interested in doing, such work. That almost became my loss.

I experienced something similar when I purchased my first 'utility body' truck. Suddenly, I was a "real" electrician, and not just another handyman. That nothing had changed - not I, nor my tools, nor my stock - well, that didn't matter. The big truck did.
The truck is a two-edged sword. Some folks feel better when they see the truck, and are happy to pay more for a 'real' electrician. Others see it, and assume that I simply must be out of their price range.

We need to recognize the expectations of our intended customers, address those concerns ... and make sure they know about it!