I've never seen it in writing anywhere other than the Ontario health and safety act(little green book).It mentions restrictions on employee competence and i want to say it's page 573 but i can look it up later if you like.I also know maintenance workers at all the apartment buildings are doing there own electrical work.
As it stands in the hospital where i currently work any employee who claims to be competent and who is also deemed to be competent by management may work and trouble shoot up to 600v equipment.They must not work alone and a person who is certified in CPR and who can also perform the work be present.
Apparently because of bill c145 should someone get hurt criminal charges resulting in jail time and individual fines up to 100000 can be laid against management and even employees who look the other way when unsafe work practices are used.This bill was introduced in an attempt to make work places safer with out impeding the flow of business.However very few small employers understand the consequences and are not giving c145 proper respect.It really seems that if no one gets hurt the government doesn't care but as soon a it happens people can go to jail and lose there livelihood.Needless to say this hospital only puts licensed electricians on work above 240v
cheers