Originally Posted by leland

------Most in this feild are one dimensional! Most, not all,Consider the source. I know. They know what they know and... thats about it.
Most are licensed thru the fire marshal and have little to no electrical experience. The CO. I worked for... I was the ONLY journeyman, and only 2 "D" licenses!!!! 1 was a supervisor who was Grand fatherd in!!!!! (30 field guys)

Trained Monkeys comes to mind. But very good at 1 (one) thing.------

I would like to PUBLICALY RETRACT this statement.
"Trained monkeys"

The guys I worked with in the suppression business were/are very good at what they do.
This Industry is 2 fold- And I forgot that.

1) Is the mechanical end (kitchens,gas stations,chemical tank farms,portables,Dry chem,foam,water mist, etc.) some very large.
And serious calculations needed-on site to confirm the design-

The other is the high end DATA ctrs and the like.I personaly have done some systems with over 1000 (1 Thousand) devices,including actuation and detection(excluding notification).With as many as 6 or more coverd hazards.

The mechanical guys are on top of all the current codes in their field. But no others.

Suppression is a field of its' own.With it's own set of rules.NFPA yes, The life safety, NO.Property protection is key. (well paying too).
I had a bad taste with my former employer and unfortunately that blead thru.

But I stand by the fact that there were only 3 (three) state licenses on board.
The rest were state fire marshal "certificates" for fire suppression. Thats well and good.

This state, no suppression work for you unless the FM authorizes and tests you for it.

5) catagories)
1-self serve facilities 9GAS STATIONS
2-PORTABLES
3-Engineered fixed systems. (fm 200-Inergen-etc. (data ctrs) old halon.
4-Pre-Engineered fixed systems (Kitchens)
5- Hydrostatic testing- For pres cylinders before refill.
One will not allow you to do the other, you need each specific one .

However,they have technitions crossing the line with service and modifications.

Should I push the issue with the state? Or let it go on?

I have my answer. Would like your thoughts.

List this: RANT:5