The reason broadcast stations are going digital is not to charge you for watching TV but for bandwidth. The currrent analog signal goes back to the 1930's. We are still using the same broadcast format. By switching to digital it allows the stations to broadcast more than one channel. They are assigned a "channel" or a piece of bandwidth. They can divide this how they want. Some have 1 HDTV channel and 2 regular channels, or 3 or more regular channels. The more channels they use in there assigned bandwidth, the lower the resolution on each channel. It also allows adjacent channels to be used. With analog, all channels had to be separated by a blank channel who's use was 100 miles away. Not a problem with digital. Another advantage of digital signal, no ghost, snow, or buckshot interference. With 0 &1's you ether have a good picture or none. I metro areas, rabbit ears many times will give you good enough signal for a perfect picture. All sets made in the last year & half have a digital tuner in them, the ones older receiving over the air broadcast will need a converter. I have a $50 USB tuner for my laptop and with a 18 piece of wire, I can receive 20+ digital stations. Local stations broadcast a channel with 24 hr news and another channel (same station) 24 hr weather radar. Most all stations are broadcasting now on unused UHF stations. If you tune an analog set here to Ch 31 you get nothing but snow, but with a digital tuner equipped set you will receive 1 HDTV and 3 regular channels on Ch 31. If you receive over the air broadcast, get a digital set, the quality of the picture will really surprise you. Robert