I had an interesting phone call with a co-worker today. This conversation has come up a couple times in the past on the same building but this time someone is apparently is going to address it. I like to call this a Pandora’s Box question since IMO, there is no definitive proof, just speculation. Kind a like, “Does the ground on a receptacle up or down?”

We have a building that had its boilers replaced a year ago. Since then we have had several pinhole leaks in the plumbing. Prior to the replacement, the 30+ year old pipes have not been a problem to the best of my knowledge. Some suspect electrolysis that is due to leaking current from poor on improper bonding. Is has a 480 volt service with several transformers to kick the voltage down to 120 volts.

The question is, if there is electrical current going through the copper water pipes with bronze, cast iron, and stainless fittings, will the current cause electrolysis? Please back up your answer why you think your answer is correct.

My purpose is to just show the differences out there on the subject. In case you are wondering, the system has a glycol mixture that is acidic free which I do not know the mix ratio is. I’ll be posting this on a couple other boards just to get more feedback.

IMO that in order to have electrolysis, you have to have three elements. There are an anode, a cathode, and an electrolyte. Without all three, you have nothing. The cathode and anodes can not be avoided because of dissimilar metals of the different pipes and fittings. The glycol and or water can work as an electrolyte if the conditions are right. Without all three, there is no electrolysis. Electrical current is the result of electrolysis. Electrolysis is not a result of current.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa