I haven't said anything about it here but first thing monday morning I had a dead system, this one.
No boot, C drive was simply dead. That also took out the extended partitions E:, F: & G: 200 gig in all.

FDISK could see the drive but DOS couldn't so I figured cylinder 0 was toast. I ran FDISK/MBR and got back the C drive. That is how I was running all week but E, F & G were still missing. I used a program called DFSee to look for the missing partitions and they were still out there but unavailable. Norton Utilities running in default mode said there was a problem it couldn't fix and asked me if I wanted to recover the disk space. I figured that would be the end of my data so I said no.
Lots of my computer geek buddies were telling me about rebuilding the partition table byte by byte. I decided to get my Norton Utilities book out tonight and see if I could figure out how to do that and Lo and Behold, there was a section called "repairing track 0".
The short answer is NDD /REBUILD fixes it automatically with a couple of "yes or no" prompts.
I'm back!

Greg Fretwell