I've been in business for less than a year. Mostly small stuff my biggest job contracted so far has been less than $2000. Most of my jobs are in the $75 to $200 range. So I don't make a large monthly order. I have 2 supply house accounts set up in my business name, CES and Grainger. Grainger is so overpriced I haven't bought anything since the first purchase I made when I opened the account. CES is more reasonable, but my prices on wire are 15% to 20% higher than prices at Home Depot or Lowe's. Is this common or am I just getting ripped off. I went to HD/formerly Hughes supply yesterday and their rates are about the same as what I'm paying at CES. Should I expect this, all of the contractors I always worked for previously tried to stay away from home depot/lowe's for stuff we had to buy. So I'm assuming the supply houses are giving other
contrators prices equal or lower than the big retail supply stores Home depot and lowes'. Any advice on negotiating to get reasonable rates? The supply houses tell me that home depot actually takes a loss on the wire they sell, i say that is complete bs. there is no way they would considering the price of wire and how much of it they sell.