[/quote]
"I was not able to apply my trade because of insane laws that restricted me from legally using my skills, experience and knowledge."

Been there, seen it, done that.

Probably about 17 years ago, I had a similar situation trying to find work after moving to MD. I was a licensed Master electrician in my home state at the time, which had much tighter state-wide licensing laws and requirements, unlike MD’s county by county licensing system. I had to retest just to get my EPA/Montgomery County J-Card, which was only reciprocal with the surrounding southern counties, D.C. and N.Virginia, but basically useless in Baltimore, which had their own city license.
As I said in my previous post, I detest regulation, but I realize that a certain amount of it is necessary. It also needs to be applied properly. Individual states seem to concentrate their efforts on making it more difficult for others of the same profession to interact, while forgetting that it is the fleabags that don’t follow rules, obey laws and have absolutely no concern for providing reinforcement and validity to what legislation lawmakers do pass for enhancing the trade we work in and protecting consumers.
Moreover, what is the mentality behind some states allowing a property owner with limited or even no experience to pull a permit, install their own electrical service and wire their own building, rough to finish, but not allow them do their own plumbing?
At the same time, an experienced licensed electrician from another state cannot pull permit or perform any electrical work legally without that states license. Even though we all follow the NEC, no matter what edition. Who is more qualified in this instance? Hogwash!

On another note, other trades enjoy a greater level of security and prosperity, almost nationally, by reducing access of materials through industry wide cooperation with suppliers. Requiring credentials and using commercial accounts almost exclusively, greatly helps filter out unqualified, unlicensed, uncertified individuals such as DIY homeowners, handymen, fly-by-nighters, and moonlighting helpers. All of these undermine professionalism in your trade, increase hazards to consumers and pick your pockets. Some schleps will always get through, but as a whole, this system seems to work pretty well.
The electrical trade as a whole is way too fragmented and has never quite been able to grasp this concept. Unfortunately, the genie has been out of the bottle for a long time and it’s unlikely to go back in willingly.
frown