The 2008 NEC requires each fluorescent light to have some means to disconnect the power to it, so that you need not change a ballast 'hot.'

Here is a picture of one such device, developed to meet this requirement. I've used a picture of one brand, but my comments apply to ALL connector brands:

[Linked Image]

Now ... what's wrong with this idea? I still see wire nuts - and it's a field installed connector. Not so obvious is that every manufacturer (I have samples from three) has connectors that are unique to that maker.

WHY are we the ones to install these white elephants?

I suspect that 90% of all ballasts made are made by three companies. It ought to be for THEM to sell the replacement ballast with the male half of an industry standard connector; then we could get the female half at the parts house, and install it at the time of replacement.
Heck, I'm pretty sure that Advance ballast has enough muscle, that whatever connector they chose would dominate the market.

Ditto for new fixtures; there is no reason for them to leave the factory without these connectors already in place.

I thought the idea behind the code change was to make things safer, and reduce the dangers of working 'hot.' Since these connectors are field installed, and NOT interchangeable between brands, and NOT supplied with either the fixture or the ballast .... I predict the result will be MORE injuries, rather than less - until this albatross flies away!

Last edited by renosteinke; 12/16/07 02:00 PM.