Originally Posted by classicsat
It improved dial-up a bit (on a 33.6 modem).

Speaking of which, that's about the top speed attainable here with a V.90 modem on a DACS line. A lot of people using dialup in more remote areas have no idea why they've been connecting just fine at 44 - 48kbps ever since they got their modem, then they go to use it one day and find they're down to 33k or less from then on, because they've been "DACSed" due to pair shortages.

BT will re-arrange the lines to restore the plain loop upon request if it's possible, but is under no obligation to do so. Of course, a lot of the people affected don't even realize that their sudden loss of speed is due to being switched to a carrier system and frantically go off trying to find faults with their own equipment because "it was working fine before."

If you have wifi, don't forget to put on the protection

I'm using the Voyager ADSL modem/router which came with the package, which doesn't have wireless.

It does have an integral ATA though, and I got a VoIP phone number with free evening & weekend calls to anywhere in the U.K. as part of the package. Being from a traditional telephone background, I've never really thought much of VoIP, but as it was no extra cost I thought I'd take the option to give it a try.

I've really only played with it a little so far, but the quality doesn't seem too bad -- After I reconfigured the ATA settings for a higher audio rate. The default quality was attrocious.

Oh, and I have to criticize the ring-voltage generator in the Voyager modem/router/ATA. Maybe it's fine for somebody using a modern electronic phone, but it can't manage to get a decent ring with a 2500 set connected.