I am embarrassed to admit that I paid one of these coaching companies to come to my office about six years ago. We agreed upon an hourly rate plus travel/expenses, which seemed affordable (one "coach", one day was my expectation).

Three "coaches" showed up and wasted our time for THREE days, charging us for all "coaches" individually. Oh, and I had to sign for their air fare from Atlanta AND hotel/per diem expenses (each) as soon as they walked in the door. I also had to pay my employees for their time while they were being brainwashed.

All they were there to do was to sell insurance, investment and benefits packages. We already had these in place with mighty generous contributions, but somehow they felt that our plans weren't good enough.

After I finally had to cut them off and send them packing, they had all of my employees hating me, convinced that I was ripping them off, that I wasn't paying them enough and that our benefits package stinks. Oh, I forgot to mention: They also determined that my management skills were questionable.

Truth be known: These jokers are in cahoots with insurance and benefits sales groups. Their goal is to get your employees united against you so that you'll buy the packages that they suggest. Of course, they are making a commission for the leads AND getting paid by you to do so.

They aren't there to help you improve your business. They are there to improve THEIR business, at your expense.

When I cut them off, they resisted, stating that if they weren't able to finish their "program" (brainwashing) with our employees, there may be an adverse affect upon us. These guys were sharp, but eventually I caught on. They spent the first day getting everyone angry, then tried to milk a week of billing to make everyone happy again.

By the way, I got off lucky with only a $10,000.00 bill. I paid it promptly, confirming my ignorance for having fallen for this scam. I suppose that it sure could have been worse if I had let things continue. No doubt, this was one of the most stupid business decisions that I have ever made. It sure won't happen again. Be very careful. In running a business, I'm finding that if I had just listened to my parents, I'd be further ahead.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."